Welcome, Gabriel Piriz!
Join guest instructor Gabriel Piriz this Saturday (1/31) morning for two classes:
9:00 AM Zumba / LatinMix
11:00 AM Kettlebell Fit
The February Schedule
Many of you attending classes this week at the Studio have been aware that Doug has not been available to teach his classes or lead Personal Training sessions. We understand everyone's concern, and would like to let you all know that he is recovering from a medical issue and is unable to teach classes at this time. As a result, you will notice that his classes are not on the February schedule of classes - those time slots have been filled, however, with other Studio instructors teaching the same formats.
We truly appreciate The Studio Fitness team for pitching in this week and helping out as needed, those instructors that will be teaching his classes over the next month, and for all the concerns, thoughts and prayers expressed to Doug, Joan and their entire family. In order to respect their privacy, no other information concerning his condition is being released at this time. We appreciate your understanding on this matter, and ask you to continue sending positive thoughts and healing prayers.
* Due to lack of participation, the "Get Your Team On in Six (6)" challenge will not be taking place at this time.
* Due to unforseen circumstances, the "Try Us for FREE Week" originally scheduled for 2/1-7 is being postponed to a later date. Please check back for future announcements.
(ALL YEAR LONG!)
For local high school and college students! All high school and college students (up to age 25) may attend unlimited classes for only $40 per month (no contract!)! You MUST show your school ID to be eligible for this special price. Parents and students have asked about this and we LISTENED. Stay active all year without breaking your piggy banks!
One-Time and Session Events
Classes in February
Saturdays at 11:00 AM
On Saturday, February 7 The Studio Fitness
will be hosting a West Coast Swing Lesson and Open Dance
The Lesson begins at 6:30 pm and your instructors, Joe & Carol Wooldridge will teach you the basics steps and within the hour you will be dancing West Coast Swing. From 7:30 pm to 9:00 pm there will be open dancing to practice. The cost for the lesson and dance is $10 per person. Since introducing students to the West Coast Swing in LaBlast Fitness classes, many of you have indicated you want to learn more about this dance. The West Coast Swing is a fun partner dance that can be danced to almost any type of music from pop, funk, disco, and blues to country and it is perfect for all ages. The West Coast Swing is known for its smooth and sexy moves. There are two main movements in West Coast Swing – walks and triple steps. From these two moves there are hundreds of patterns which make West Coast Swing one of the most versatile dance forms.
Watch the video here...
FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions)
1. I have never done this type of dance before. Will I be able to learn this dance in just an hour?
Definitely! The West Coast Swing has two main movements – walking steps and triple steps (also known as Cha-Cha-Cha). In the hour lesson you will learn how to put these two moves together. This lesson is specifically for beginner students. Plus there will be lots of music for practice.
2. Don’t all swing dances include lots of jumping and bouncing? There is no way my body can handle that!
There are many types of swing dancing. West Coast Swing is popular and easy for all levels, ages and sizes because there is NO jumping or bouncing in the dance. Dancers glide back and forth in an imaginary slot. West Coast Swing is easy on the back, knees, hips, etc.
3. I don’t have a partner – can I still take the lesson?
Yes! You will be able to learn the footwork, patterns and lead/follow techniques of the dance. Plus during practice time and open dancing there will be others to dance with.
4. What should I wear? Do I need special shoes?
West Coast Swing is a casual dance so casual dress is perfect for the dance – jeans, exercise pants. Wear whatever makes you feel good and allows you to move freely. Ladies, many WCS dancers wear stretching black pants for dancing – what we know as exercise pants or leggings! The suggestions for shoes are a dance shoe that has the suede sole and is flexible or a shoe with a leather shoe that allows you to glide. We see many people dancing in loafers and flats - just make sure they have a smooth sole and fit securely. Tennis shoes / exercise shoes will work – just select the pair that has the least amount of tread.
Girls Night In
One Friday each month (February 13)
6:45 - 8:15 pm
This one-night drop-in class is
designed to be a "Girls Night In" fitness party - learn a fun routine in one
night. Each month Julie will teach a "themed" routine and
participants will learn a quick routine using the pole and chair, and a
few tricks on the pole. This
month will be a VALENTINE theme!
This month will be a VALENTINE theme!
*Call 937-387-0660 to reserve and pay your spot for $15 in advance (walk-ins are no longer accepted).
In The News
Read an article from the Dayton Daily News about PILOXING! Did you know The Studio Fitness offers this class, and that Instructor Connie is one of only a few ELITE instructors of PILOXING in the entire country?
Read "Total Body Tabata: A Personal Perspective" by Barney Sentner
Why Group Exercise?
One of the main reasons for people “quitting the gym” is lack of support, motivation, and enjoyment. Without the knowledge from a personal trainer, it is difficult to know what workouts to do, making it frustrating and easy to give up and go home. Plus, it is hard to motivate yourself to exercise to your fullest potential if you are alone. Here are some fantastic benefits of attending group exercise classes:
- Support and Motivation: When you work out on your own, you are more likely to give up faster than when you are in a group exercise class. The instructor can provide the support you need to keep pushing on, and being in a class full of others gives you the accountability and motivation to stay.
- Fun: Going to a group exercise class is fun! Our Zumba classes have encouraging music to get you excited and motivated for the class. It is also the group fitness instructor’s purpose and duty to provide a calorie-burning workout for you that is enjoyable.
- Friends: Group exercise classes are a perfect place to meet friends. Other people in the same classes as you share the common interest of wanting to stay fit, plus if you meet someone in your class you can motivate each other to keep attending that class.
- Accountability: Probably the biggest advantage to group exercise classes is the accountability. If you decide not to attend classes, most likely your absence will be noticed. Your attendance to each class is pertinent to the performance of the team. Consistency is huge when starting an exercise program and for this reason, the benefit of the accountability of a group exercise class will increase your results substantially.
- Social benefits: Most people spend their early years socializing in groups. This includes games and fitness activities. In later years, most individuals are too busy to socialize regularly. Group exercise can mitigate this problem, by allowing scheduled group activity time. Group exercise has the added benefit of preventing boredom with exercise, by adding an element of camaraderie to the chosen activity.
- Please bring only the MINIMUM necessary items into a class (water bottle, towel, keys) and place those items along the wall on the SIDES or FRONT of the Studio room. DO NOT PLACE ANY ITEMS ALONG THE BACK WALL.
- Make sure water bottles remain 'upright', and if they do fall over immediately set them back upright.
- If you see spilled water on the floor (from water bottles, shoes, etc.) please either notify a staff member immediately to clean it up or feel free to dry the area yourself.
- If your shoes are wet because of the weather, please bring a dry pair to change into. Wet shoes make for a very slippery wood floor!
For the fifth year in a row �� The Studio Fitness (formerly Studio Zumba Fitness) has been voted "The Best Place to Burn Calories in Dayton 2013” on ActiveDayton.com! We thank everyone for their support and votes! It is an accomplishment to just be nominated for the poll, but to win this distinction FIVE years in a row is a testament to not only our incredible staff, instructors and facility, but to the dedicated students who choose to make The Studio Fitness their favorite place to burn calories! Thank you!
Studio ZUMBA® Fitness in Vandalia, voted Best Fitness Center in Dayton 2009, will now be known as The Studio Fitness™. The simpler name better reflects the wide range of classes and services offered for all ages and fitness levels. And The Studio founders Doug and Joan Jones are quick to point out that nothing has been lost in the transition. “We’re still the region’s premier ZUMBA® facility,” Doug Jones says. Read the full press release
- The Studio Fitness
puts focus on the Beginners!
Read about our Zumba® and strength training
classes for Beginner & Medium Level
- Read an article about The Studio Fitness™ trip to Cancun, MX and view the pictures from the trip!